Compost is referred to as decomposed organic matter and this can be gotten through the process of composting that can be done either locally or industrially Doing compost locally involves the usage of basic tools while having to use industrial compost involves the usage of sophisticated machines such as compost turner machine. Composting is a natural process of turning organic materials such as leaves, livestock droppings, household wastes, sludges, crop wastes, and some other solid organic substances into rich soil components that can be very healthy for raising new plants, and gardens. Compost is an ancient fertilizer that has an important role in agriculture, however, we will understand the importance of compost better as we delve into its benefits.
- It improves soil structures: Compost is used majorly as a soil improvement tool as fine quality compost is used in agricultural production to increase the soil humus and nutrient. It also enhances the quality of the soil. It helps to bins clusters of soil particles together, providing the soil with full tiny air channels and pores that hold air, moisture, and nutrients. All these will in turn improve soil structure which can enhance the soil function, water retention ability, and fertility of soil.
- It promotes the growth of the plant root: This process is a regrowth process of beneficial microorganisms that can be done on large scale with the usage of a compost turner machine. It produces a large number of useful metabolites which are beneficial to the growth of plant roots.
- It increases crop yields: It has proven over time that the usage of high-quality compost on farm grounds can ensure increased returns on the investment put into the farm field. It can also increase vegetable quality and reduce wastage this is because compost increases the calcium and potassium content in vegetables and it decreases the nitrate and nitrate content.
- It helps to recycle waste materials: The idea of composting significantly reduce the rate and pile up of household waste as it has helped to convert them to use organic component and the conversion is usually on large scale with the usage of a compost turner machine.
- It reduces plant diseases and insect pests: During the process of composting pathogenic bacteria are reduced and the harmful ova that can develop into harmful insects are killed as a result of the high temperature they are exposed to, and in return, supplies organisms that are beneficial to the soil such as nitrogen-fixing bacteria, and also provides an abundance of organic matter to the soil.